Thursday, August 5, 2010

13 year Check Up


Today I had to take Jake for his 13 year check up. He doesn't officially turn 13 until September 8th, but with Cross Country starting next week, I had to get his physical in...
.
.

I love this time with this kids. It's almost like a prideful time to show them off with the doctor. Sick visits and other visits are awful, and painfully icky and slow...but their yearly check ups I look forward to. We get to talk with the Doctor ALL about them...and the pride in me makes me cluck like a mother hen :)
.
.

The boy has grown 5 inches since last summer! And put on 20 lbs! I swelled with inner pride as the doctor breezed in and first commented at HOW MUCH the two of us are starting to look like each other. She knows what a hoot he is and said she loves our banter. She laughed because he wore underwear this time....(last time he surprised us ALL when she peeked for the exam, and he was going commando for the day...@!) We talked about the frustrations of ADD and changed his meds for the upcoming school year. We got excited about Cross Country and she gave a firm hand in the department of him not staying up so late, hence sleeping all day...
.
.
Then as I was on cloud nine with how smoothly it all was going...she asked what was going on with his chest? Could he take off his shirt? What is this??
.
.
Jake in his maddening way pipes in that yes he had told me about that but I was too busy or didn't pay attention...
.
.
Chest xrays are ordered, and she is filling out paperwork...."don't you see this Lump of bone? she asks? On one side of his chest. By his heart?? This whole side is uneven...
.
.
WWWhhhatt?!?
.
.
She assures we just need to get it checked out...but try to tell a mother not to worry!
.
.
What in the world could this be. Oh please Lord, let it be something silly and little...!
.
.
So I am off to get it checked out tomorrow!
.
.
Rotten kids.
.
.
They sure like to keep life interesting...sigh...:(