Friday, March 25, 2011

I'm the Best Mother In the World!!!...Or Not

The other day, we had the weirdest weather. We had Ohio weather. Extreme Ohio weather.

The day had moments of sunshine. There were times of rain. There was wind and hail. It would come and go.

At one point in the day it was close to 80 and by nightfall we were touching the 30's. There was an hour there where we dropped liked 25 degrees, just in that hour. It was dramatic.

That would be the hour I would like to talk about.

Now this COULD be my shining moment as a mom. It really really could. Because I was all over this. I had this.

Let me set the stage. Birds chirping...sun shining...I'm picking up Summer from preschool. Wind starts. Rain starts. By the time I get home we are talking deafening HAIL is pounding my car. She is kindof getting spooked. I know that Matthew's bus is coming in a few minutes, and I also know that he is TERRIFIED of storms. OTHER parents are at the bus stops in their cars waiting for their kids {{of course}}, but our house is pretty darn close to the bus stop, so this is something I normally don't do. I think that a few inches of walking in hail would be horrible, so I decide to pull my car up to the stop too! But first I must get Summer inside.

{{Cue dramatic music}} With Hail pounding and her starting to cry, I pulled into the driveway and honked my horn for Mike to come out and get her. He comes out into the garage and looks at me like..."What in the heck do you want me to do?!?!" We had just bought a lawnmower and he put the huge cardboard box over his head and waddled out to the car to get Summer from me, dodging hail like and armored truck. It was so loud we couldn't talk or communicate. I backed out and pulled up to the bus stop.

I was blocking the neighbors driveway. Usually edicate me would worry so...desperate times call for desperate measures!!! I was breaking protocol of not only blocking a stop sign but blocking the bus from backing up....I threw caution to the wind. I was there for one purpose and one purpose only. To get my son safe, Lol. In the adrenaline of having my car beat to hell by the hail, the overwhelming noise of it all, the wind and the rain, I hunkered down to wait.

And wait I did. Because up the street, waited the bus. I guess school rules make the drivers put it in park when there is hail like this. So it sat. And I sat. And all the other parents sat. In this huge storm.

Finally there was a break. And the bus moved to our stop.

And do you know what.


DO YOU KNOW WHAT?!?!?!?!??!?!?!??!??!!

My son didn't get off.

Yes. Yes. {{insert shining moment}}

Today is Wednesday.

WEDNESDAYS, Matthew goes to a social group after school.

I know this.

I KNEW THIS.

I forgot this in the passion of the moment.

I kicked my car in reverse and drove the millimeter home.

Sigh.