Thursday, June 11, 2009

TV in your Head

I have always been an avid reader, and since I was a child enjoyed getting lost in books.
When my kids were little I read to them like crazy, and books have always spilled out of their rooms.
Both Tatum and Jake though struggled with reading which was so very frustrating to both them and to me. I wanted them to have the passion I did, but it seemed to be such a hurdle to both of them.
Tatum has gotten to a place where she does read on her own now by choice, and has altered and accepted her abilities and enjoys thoroughly V.C. Andrews and Stephenie Meyers.
Jake, now with and IEP in place at school is positive and a very hard worker, but it is what it is....I don't think it will ever be his favorite hobby.

But Matthew seems to have been unaffected at all by any reading difficulties and has even excelled in his reading. He reads with fluency and ease and seems to enjoy it!

So today being the 1st day of summer break, we all went to the public library to sign up for the summer reading program. Matthew was rearing to go, and just in our car ride afterwards dove halfway through the book.

He announces to me as I am driving..."Mom I love reading!"

"IT'S JUST LIKE TV IN YOUR HEAD!"


Leave it to an 8 year old to sum it all up;)