Monday, March 8, 2010

Grandma at the Helm

Well this is my first try at blogging and I am very unsure of myself. Becky and Mike are hopefully having a wonderful time in Cozumel, and I am at their house trying to fill the gap.
I know only too well what they mean when they say, "have your kids when your young."
In my head I still look and act like I'm 35, but right now I feel about 80 and when I walk past a mirror, I have no idea who that old lady is looking back at me. I love my grandchildren dearly, but boy can they wear me out.

Things were different when I was a kid, my Dads parents had almost 30 grandchildren and you were lucky if they knew your name. We never minded, we just never had a close relationship.
My Moms parents lived about 200 miles away in Indiana, but back then it was like 800 miles now, you just didn't go visit on a whim. So tho I know they loved me, it was from a distance and I don't have that many close and treasured memories.

Now I hope with my grandchildren they know they are treasured. Each one of them is so unique and wonderful. Thats not saying they are perfect or don't have their faults like anyone else, but to me they are special and I know how lucky I am to be able to share time and experiences with each of them. I have 7 grandchildren and 2 great grandchildren, and its so much fun to discover their quirky personalities. Take the 4 I am staying with for a few days.
My eldest in this family is Tatum whom I'm sure you all know. She's beautiful and smart and someone you can depend on. She can be a little controlling, but that started when she was about 9 months old and we've all learned to live with it. She's a little on the serious side, which is sometimes good, sometimes not so good, but you know where you stand. All the bumps smooth out in time and she'll be just fine. I couldn't be prouder of her.
Jacob is our uniquey. He reminds me so much of my son Tim growing up, its hard to figure out how their mind really works. You just scratch your head and say "how in the world could anyone think of that?" But they are both kind, and generous of heart, and dear.
Matty, well what can you say about our Matty. He's strong minded, determined, smart , though he doesn't always think he is, strong emotioned, boy. Sometimes you think "He has no patience" but then you see him with little Summer, playing patiently with her, giving her the time and tenderness thats often rare in a boy his age, and yor heart overflows.
Then of course our dear little Summer. so sweet and cute and dear, and bossy.
She loves to dance but would be so much better instructing how to do it than by taking lessons.
She's a darlin, and we've all enjoyed her so much.
So I hope I haven't bored you with my musings. I guess I'm like any grandmother today, proud and braggy. Also very lucky. I've got 3 other ones who are pretty special also, but of course you don't know about them. Anyway, my time with them is important to me. I hope they will remember me as the grandma who enjoyed being with them.