Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Battle Of The Christmas Tree

This year when we got out our Christmas tree, we noticed there was a crack in the plastic base. "We'll get one more year out of it, and then we'll trash it" says Mike.

As the tree slightly leaned to one side, I doubted it would hang in there, but a promise of a new tree was a promise of a new tree.

Now I know I have mentioned in previous posts that I live in a {{ ape, barmy, batty, berserk, bonkers, cracked, crazed, cuckoo, daft, delirious, demented, deranged, dingy, dippy, erratic, flaky, flipped, flipped out, freaked out, fruity, idiotic, insane, kooky, lunatic, mad, maniacal, mental, moonstruck, nuts, nutty, nutty as fruitcake, of unsound mind, out of one’s mind, out of one’s tree, out to lunch, potty, psycho, round the bend, schizo, screwball, screw loose, screwy, silly, touched, unbalanced, unglued, unhinged, unzipped, wacky}} house. (sorry...checked the thesaurus for crazy, and I couldn't pick just one!!!!)

Lots of mayhem....check. Lots of kids...check. Sit on down and have a cup of crazy.

This year our youngest is 21 months. I fully expect her to touch the ornaments. Know it. Can't get crazy about it. She carries them off, cradles the dolls, loses them, pokes them...you know what? You can't reason with her, and you just try to divert her attention.
Got that covered.

Got two ruff and tuff boys, who think it is necessary to wage war upon one another, and fight to the bloody death. Okay. Just not by the tree ...alright fellows?? GGrreat.

I understand my husband and children expect a tree, but in no way, shape or form will help put up the tree. the lights. the ornaments. the boxes put in storage. That is OKAY!!!! Love it!! I am filled with the Christmas spirit:)


We have always had lots of animals...we work around them. Sure we have saved many cats lives by pulling out that loonng strand of tinsel that was alll the way down their throat. The dog chasing his toy, and his wagging tail bumping the tree. I just filed it in the category "animals" and knew I could deal with it.

Then this year we got Abby.

She is not quite grown, but not a kitten anymore. She begs to differ. Her eyes lit up when she saw the boxes come out for the tree. She hopped in and out and sniffed and layed upon each thing. I got a little concerned when I saw her trot by with an ornament in her mouth like it was prey she had just killed.

She stalks around the tree now, and tangles in the lights. She pounces from the Santa skirt and naws on the fake pine branches as if they are real. She has perched on the lower branches, but I have shooed her away. Until.....

Oh yes she did.

Whole tree. Tipped over. Ornaments everywhere. Fragile keepsakes broke. If I wasn't crying I would have laughed (yeah I meant it that way)

We propped it back up and hopefully it can muster holding it together a few more days. She apparently has NOT learned her lesson and is back to creeping around her lair. I guess we know who has won this one.