Friday, September 12, 2008

The edicate of eating

We have been trying to let Summer learn the art of feeding herself, and learning how to use a spoon. Now that she is starting the independent streak of "I will do it myself", we get no chance in helping her get the food to her mouth. The child has to have 3 baths a day! She is getting gross!
When she first started with finger food, she would politely let you know she was done by throwing the leftover food to the floor. Very casual and nonchalant you would see her drop piece by piece overboard.(the dog LOVES this maneuver and now hovers closely at dinnertime) Then a couple weeks ago she began to rub (and I mean RUB) the food into her hair. Oatmeal, spaghetti, anything would do. Why she liked this, I have no idea...but she consistently did it! Messy, but tolerable.
Yesterday, she took it to a whole new level.
Tuna fish.
Pushed.
Inside.
Her nose.
Deep.
I had to use q-tips to dig it out. And then had to remove her from the high chair because she wanted to continue doing it! What is wrong with this child!
(I sadly admit she tried food in her ears last week)
So I did all that I know to do...I popped her in the tub and put on her 3rd outfit for the day....and hope by tomorrow she goes back to just dropping it on the floor.....
because she stills smells like tuna....